Mold is a member of the fungus family. It is a branching-type of growth called hyphae. It is rarely destroyed by heat or cold exposure, but remains dormant until a particular season, such as spring or fall, when it grows and thrives.
Mold lives in moist conditions where there is oxygen and other chemicals. Places mold may be found most often include the following:
On dead or dying vegetation
Moist, shady areas
Rotting leaves and logs
Damp basements and closets
Food storage areas
Air conditioners and humidifiers
Mold spores or fragments may be inhaled through the nose and into the lungs where they cause allergic reactions or asthma.
There is no known relationship between an allergy to the mold Penicillium and an allergy to the antibiotic penicillin, which is made from the mold. Consult your child's doctor for more information.
The University of Chicago Medicine
5841 S. Maryland Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637 | 773-702-1000
Appointments: Call UCM Connect at 1-888-824-0200